Friday, September 14, 2007

Buffest Mom on the Block

Apparently I must have swallowed a stupid pill @ some point today, but I decided in addition to the two doctors appointments which I had (one for Stone and the other for Zion and Cy) that I would try and take on the world all in one day. Please be reminded that this would be my first trip out with the twins alone. On a side note...after 5 weeks in the Hospital, the weeks of recovery/NICU visits, and the first three weeks home getting used to these sweet newborns, I have to admit I actually felt free. This may have partially contributed to the stupidity of not just doing what I needed to and getting the hell back home! So here was my day in a nutshell. I awoke at 7:53 am which was just the right time to hear the bus pulling away from the stop. The sounds of SpongeBob SquarePants is blaring from a TV downstairs. I go downstairs and find my children lounging in their PJ's as if it were a Saturday or something. You would think I completely insulted them by letting them know that they had just missed the bus and needed to return upstairs to get dressed. The morning was not without yelling and crying and that was just from me :) As soon as I got into the car the low gas indicator dinged and we said family prayer as we drove with Stone announcing to the car "that only Mommy didn't have to close her eyes because she was driving and might kill us if she closes her eyes."We finally made it to school and dropped Phoenix off and then headed off to get gas. While filling up the gas tank I had two minutes to realize I hadn't eaten and I was apparently starving. I got into the car looked at the clock and had 15 minutes to make a 25 minute drive to the Doctors office. I still stopped at McDonalds with the justification that someone has to feed the babies and if I don't eat, neither do they. So I made it to the doctors office a bit late, but hauling two infant car seats seems to bring out the kindness or pity in the secretaries and they allowed me to see the doctor anyhow. I had an hour and a half to burn between appointments and I didn't have enough time to get Stone back to school and then make it to the appointment so Stone became my road dog for the day. I love the extra time to spend with him! Mitchell had mentioned prior that he would like me to bring the twins to his job so that he could show them off and I decided that as long as I was out and had some time to burn I would take them all to see Daddy. Mitchell was gracious and met me in the parking lot to help carry the two babies their car seats and diaper bag into the building. After much time of being goo'd and gaa'd at we left with no time to make it to the hospital. Fifteen minutes later we made it to the hospital and Stone and I were on our own for all the carrying. Stone carried the diaper bag and I carried the twins from the back of the parking lot and across the entire hospital longways until we finally found the Ultrasound place. I would like to Sidebar the fact that I cannot go anywhere without many, many people stopping me to look and ask questions about the twins. As most of you know I am the queen of anti-social with people I don't know and this has so thrown me for a loop. I am outwardly gracious, but I believe my facial expressions are around the idea of "do I know you?" I can tell that this "Stranger Questioning" is going to get really old really quickly and Pissy Chrissy may have to make her infamous debut. I fear for them....really I do! Anyhow...I make my way back to the snotty secretary at the Ultrasound unit at the Hospital who was less than impressed with my mile and a half jaunt to get to her. She nastily informed me that according to her records I had no appointment. After listening to all her snide questions (she assumed I made no appointment and just showed up for the fun of it apparently) I made her call up to the NICU because they were the ones who supposedly made this appointment but to no avail I picked up my damn heavy children and left. Stone and I made our ways to the front of the building where I sat down the carseats out of exhaustion and I went to open my mouth and a really nice hospital worker at the front said "I will call the complimentary shuttle" I said "thanks, you read my mind". I so wanted to go home, but I knew that I couldn't take this opportunity to have an extra set of hands for granted, so off we went to Costco. One over sized cart full of babies which Stone drove and One for me to load up on groceries. We again had about 20 people ask about them one hagily woman wanted to know why I had newborns out so early. I grimaced as I answered that they were two and a half months old, but thanked her for the concern anyhow. Stone and I waited in line for 15 minutes while the babies were beginning to get testy. After checking out and loading up the car we were finally headed home. The babies now crying had a 25 minute car ride home and Stone wanted to know were the McDonalds lunch that I had promised was. Mind you, we had just spent $265 on groceries. I told him that he needed to be patient with me, that the babies had to be fed, and Phoenix was going to be getting off the bus soon. We made it home. I fed the babies and Phoenix came home. We then unpacked the car full of Costco reloaded everyone in the car and off we went for $1.99 Happy Meal Friday. I got food for Mitchell and I at Arby's. When we got home, Daddy soon followed, we ate and Mitchell (thank goodness) started the bedtime routine. My muscles ache. My back is killing me. I am so tired I think I might drop. But it is so much better than being on bed rest in the hospital and besides I don't need any weights when I'm hauling them around all day. The baby weight should be falling off any day now if I keep up this routine. I would cry but I am choosing to count my blessings :) Zoloft anyone?...lol

8 comments:

Taste of Champaign said...

I sooo love this post because I can TOTALLY relate! I too hated the social thing. Random strangers asking questions. I konw some people love that stuff, but not me--and twins beg for it. It is less now (probably because of the boy/girl thing). And carrying the two car seats!! Those were the days. I remember the walking into the pediatricians office and the nurses saying "hear comes super mom". It's funny when I was expecting the twins the idea seemed so cute and fun. Then they were born and reality hits--HARD. It is cute and fun, but a ton of work! Way to go on your first outing out alone. They are still few and far between for me, but sometimes you just have to get out!
love ya!

erinmalia said...

hi chris...daniel's friend erin, here. i saw your comment on the placemats and would be happy to make them for you. would you want the fabric i used or something different? how many would you want? i'd have to figure out how much they'd cost because right now i have no idea! feel free to get my email address from daniel.

and wow on your post. i'm just amazed at how parents of twins, let alone parents of three kids PLUS newborn twins, handle life. sounds like you're doing a good job!

Taste of Champaign said...

what erin?! you will make them? hmm. perhaps i should be more bold with my requests in the future...

Chris said...

lol...anything for a Kuhn, right Linda! Your words from foodees. Speaking of which I may have to call you about my jelously issues with regards to a certian blog/er (read my mind) how Earl B Wood am I?

Chris said...

Erin, Let me think on that for a bit. It is just an Erin day in our home. I am actually making your Turkey Mini Meatloaves for dinner. I will let you know how they go. Thanks for everything! Tell Chuck Hello!

Taste of Champaign said...

lol,lol,lol,lol,lol,lol!!!!

Lisa said...

Chris - You have never stopped cracking me up! You know how to turn any experience into a total comedy routine! It's a great talent to be able to laugh at yourself!

Megan said...

We might have to arm wrestle!!! I am exhausted just reading about your day. I totally understand your frustration with “stranger questioning”. I would like to think that people are intelligent but when they ask dumb questions, while sweat is pouring off our faces or babies screaming, it makes me realize that there are a lot of idiots in this world. I love your blog.