Saturday, March 22, 2008

Twin V. Twin

My little Miss Cy is becoming quite the character. While Zion seems to have the market cornered when it comes to the talking/babbling she on the other hand is the expert on getting what she wants. She has the loud cry and will use it with a quickness to get them up either in the morning or from nap time. Cy screams away while Zion just sits there and watches contently as she does his job for him (such a man for you!) She is a very happy, giggly baby and will flirt her way into anyones heart with a smile and a bat of her long eyelashes to get you to notice and pay her some additional attention. Zion loves all toys that make that crinkly noise and plays with them constantly. If Cy is within arms length of Zion she scopes out his toy with ever such detail and pounces when the getting is good leaving poor Zion with the look of utter confusion...while he wonders for two seconds where his toy has gone until he hears it next to him and can see his sister playing with it. The sad thing is that he cannot retrieve it as he has not yet acquired the skills of snatching as his sister has. Cy can also sit up really well (assisted by something or someone) as you can see in the pictures. She seems to have much more control of her body than does Zion up until this point.



Although Zion can and does give kisses/slobbers freely and Cy doesn't even seem to know that she can give them only the enjoyment (giggles) she receives when they are given to her. Zion is really laid back for the most part except when it comes to food. He is a very impatient little boy in that area...which I find to be a bit funny as I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. It really is interesting to me how children are born with quite distinct personalities from the get go. Zion doesn't cry about much unless of course you try and feed his sister prior to feeding him. It is not a pretty site! Cy took a clue from him and now she also doesn't prefer to be feed second either. To combat this issue and the fact that both babies are not very good feeders (they do not open their mouths to be feed...like baby birds. They wait for you to pry it in) I started to make "Baby Shakes" if you will. In a bowl I put cereal, formula, and baby food and then I place it into the baby bottles add hot formula and shake. I cut a bigger slit in the top of the nipple to allow for easy feeding as the "Baby Shake" is much thicker than formula and my babies can eat at the same time and are becoming much more full on less milk and we are no longer burning through our astronomical formula bill per week anymore.


It was so interesting the other day. I mean I have two babies so I compare their development and I guess I just figured that since they were about the same developmentally that they were about "normal" if you will. I mean I know that they are preemies and all but I guess I didn't really know what that meant even though the doctors had explained that they did not expect them to catch up to their counterparts until at least the age of two. At a Relief Society dinner on Tuesday night there was a woman there with her child who was a month and a half younger than my children. He was sitting up on his mothers lap by himself with a whole dinner roll in his fist eating it by himself...I was dumbfounded! My children can barely sit up by themselves (Zion really cannot!) They do not open their mouths to eat. They take 4-5 hour naps in the middle of the day (don't get me wrong...I am not complaining!) I guess I just had no idea that even though they were weight wise catching up to the rest of their age group that developmentally they were still so far behind. It doesn't bother me that they are behind at all I guess I was just really shocked...even though they had told me apparently I just never put 2 and 2 together. Zion has cut a tooth and is also starting to push up into the crawl position and rock back and forth on his knees and elbows. It is really cute to watch...it is kind of like a car reeving up its engine but it cant get off the starting block. Usually this adorable rocking motion ends in the inevitable face plant. As I watch this happen over and over to my dear son it always makes me a bit excited for the day he (A) might actually get off the starting block and (B) a slight twinge of pain for the impending face plant...Yet I am always reminded that this is such a metaphor for life! How many times in this boy's life will I sit on the sidelines and have to watch with excitement and pain for the face plant of life as he learns to be a man. More than likely too many to count. But today I will enjoy him and all of my beautiful children learning a growing within the safety of my home for all too quickly will they be swallowed up by the "real" world and hopefully I have prepared them enough to be able to face plant and stand back up, dust themselves off and do it all over again!

3 comments:

Q'ner said...

holy crap... they are getting so big. I don't think anyone knows or realizes the development thing until they are side by side with another kid their age. That's amazing to me. But at the same time... you are about to have double the fun of all that crap!!! Exactly like you said... enjoy it while you can.... HAPPY EASTER!!!

Lisa said...

4-5 hour naps? That is AWESOME!! No wonder you keep sane! They are definitely looking a lot like you! The good thing about preemies is that you can enjoy them as babies longer!

Taste of Champaign said...

They are so cute! I think you are lucky that they are still so baby-like. Like you said, they eventually catch up to their peers, so why rush it?! Enjoy that they are healthy and developing, right?

Claire was a lot like the baby bird with feeding. I had to force food in her mouth at 9 months! Now she'll eat anything she can get her hands on.

Love the update!