Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Decade of Motherhood

My eldest child turned 10 on May 28th. It was a wonderful day! We all stayed present and in the moment and it was a great day. We started the festivities off with a family favorite for dinner and definitely one of Stone's favorite's....Shrimp Fried Rice.
Stone would not be Stone if he hadn't tried to talk me into opening his gifts early so just this once I informed him that he had a "special" gift this year and he could open that one early...but only that one. When Mitchell and I see things prior to the kids birthdays that we think they might like we will go ahead and get them so as to help offset the cost all at one time. So Stone's first gift was bought prior to Mitchell dying and he was able to see it and know that Stone would love it. Phoenix, Avery and I wrapped it "To: Stone From: Dada"


The gift was a Teck Deck holder and some Teck Decks. We then put 10 candles into Stone's requested cake...vanilla cake with vanilla frosting, and sang to him. He made a wish and warned the girls to "blow on his cake and die" The girls kept their wind to themselves and Stone blew them out with one shot!
We then ate cake and I swear I cannot remember when or where this crazy tradition started but I do know it was Stone who did indeed start it. The kids shove their faces into their own piece of cake so as to look funny. Stone was apparently too cool this year to play. I guess at 10 you start to become embarrassed to play the games you once created, but the girls were certainly not too embarrassed to play

Stone on the other hand can get any job done with a piece of cake and a glass of milk. I actually took a sequence of photos to log the event and while it was happening he told me I was embarrassing him but I just sat there in astonishment as I watched the cake and a glass of milk disappear in 20 seconds if he actually took a breath during the whole time or not. After the cake we cleaned up and Stone was able to open the rest of his gifts.



Stone you are such a great boy and you are all too quickly growing into a young man. You are so responsible and I am so proud of you and so happy that Heavenly Father had the foresight to send you here to live with me!
I love you!

3 comments:

Louise said...

Hi Chris,
What a darling family you have!! You've been a busy Momma! I've enjoyed catching up! Let's keep better touch.
Much love!!

Amy said...

He is officially to cool to be a kid now. THat's ok, as long as he still lets you get a hug in there some times;-)

Lisa said...

Welcome to the double digits, Stone!