Saturday, October 20, 2007

Remembering Rockville Ward

When I think of the Van Orden's many fun memories come flooding back to me. Toilet papering their home the night before Mother's day with huge "We love you Momma VO!" posters. Only to have Betty show up the next day to church wearing a gorgeous homemade corsage made out of the toilet paper from the front yard...Skinny dipping in their pool with 3 other girls only to have a nearby male church member peeping through the fence because he thought he saw "activity" at the house while they were on vacation...PERV...The Senior Graduation Party/BBQ at their home the year I graduated from High School and finally (the last I will share) The total feeling of love and acceptance from Momma and Poppa VO every time you entered their presence. I love these people...I always have. I love their children, their homes, the way they serve the Lord, the yummy VO food (props to Betty!) and most importantly their love and living of the Gospel. Growing up, they were just one set of examples which sprang from my life while living in the Rockville Ward. So why this tribute to the VO's after not having seen them for 10 or so years. Well Momma VO has written a Christmas book and I wanted to place it on my page for everyone to see http://www.cedarfort.com/author/VanOrden.html I remember the bit of advice Betty gave me as I went off to college "Even if you never need or use your college degree, Get one! I always regretted not getting mine" As I am two classes away from my degree and have been working on it off and on over the past 15 years. I want Betty to know I remember her advice often and keep moving forward (though slowly) because of it. I also want Betty to know she never needed a degree to do what made her special. Many, Many of our Young Women (myself included) have become better wives, mothers and women because of her example in our lives.

15 comments:

Lisa said...

Chris! You kill me! I had so much fun reminiscing about the Van Ordens and the crazy stuff we did! AHHH - I miss those care free days!

Chris said...

You love it huh? :) Me too! Miss you Lisa...especially naked in the pool :0

Chris said...

Hey Lisa- As I sit here surfing around I cant help but think...Remember the Sour Patch Kids tongue burning contest @ Rehoboth Beach, the "Go Trixie Go" @ the Giant, the cousins gig to break me into your Government job. Man we had a lot of fun as kids! I know as we speak you are imagining the crashing beach waves and the cawing of the seagulls "Go Trixie Go"...love you!

Lisa said...

Remember when we scared Jeremy so bad that he thought someone was breaking into his house? Good thing he didn't get his dad's gun! I had forgotten about the Sour Patch Kids and Go Trixie Go! I can't stand SPK now - probably because I burned all my taste buds off! I do remember you making those extremely loud monkey noises at Giant in Aspen Hill!

Lisa said...

I forgot - actually as I speak my darling little girl is squealing rather louding in her high chair smearing cheese and bananas all over herself. I need a Calgon moment imagining myself at Rehobeth, eating SPK and trying not to drown in the ocean! Debbie and I are eternally indebted to you for saving our lives way back then! BTW, your blog is great - you are an excellent writer. You should write a book.

Daniel said...

You all were probably too old to have know this, but I remember that Sis. VO was also the mild mannered alter ego for Sis. Friendly. In primary, she would come in wearing an apron with 30 some pockets that we could choose a toy from after we answered a question correctly about that months Friend Magazine. That Damn Carrie Scott knew every question and always got the cool stuff.

Chris said...

Yeah I do remember the Jeremy thing...that is too funny! We TP'd his house the worst! I didn't save you at the beach...We all had to be rescued by the Hot Lifeguards and I remember Doug giving me such a hard time b/c we were on the same "Advanced" Swim Team and I needed to be rescued...he never let me live that down! A vacation in your head with the actually noises for effect. You are @ the beach...What kids?!...Cant you hear it...Caw...Caw of the seagulls...Crash of the waves. If your having a hard time Lori, and I would be happy to Conference call you in :)

Daniel- I do remember Sis. Friendly but not quite sure if I was actually there or just remember seeing her in the Apron and hearing the stories

Wow this is kinda fun. We should have a reunion.

Taste of Champaign said...

seriously need a reunion. i love lurking in on these comments!

Lisa said...

Daniel - watch who you are calling old! I cracked up when I read "that damn Carrie Scott" You are too funny! Yes, yes - let's have a reunion! I'll bring the toilet paper!

Taste of Champaign said...

lisa-do you have a blog i don't know about?! i will send you an invite to mine. your email address is still the same, right?

Chris said...

I am giggling like a little girl! I cannot stop...Lisa's bringing the TP...hilarious! Now-a-days I think we would do hard time for most of our silly games. Besides our parents are too old and tired to think cleaning up their yards every other weekend is all in good fun.

Yeah Lisa...Start a blog!

Linda...We can play too. I actually said and explained "Burp, Pizza" to my daughter a few months ago. She found it just as funny as we did and she's 6! Hey, are you burning cookies again or is Alyssa standing there while you side yard is in flames?

This is so fun for me. I actually spent some time today reminiscing about the good ole' days. I cant believe that I had actually forgotten how much fun I had. It's a bit sad how that happens. By 65 I'll be lucky to remember your names :)

Lisa said...

Man - this computer is so stupid. Earlier I had written a great, witty comment and this thing erased it all. *&!*&@!? Is that how you swear in blog talk?

My family actually does have a blog but we've decided to keep it private. We wouldn't want the world to find out how crazy the Gardner clan is. At least not yet. As far as my own blog - I'd rather read about other people's more interesting lives! Maybe someday I'll do it.

Linda - HOW ARE YOU? I would love to be invited to your blog! My e-mail address is lgwight@aol.com

Taste of Champaign said...

crap! i sent some invitation to a stranger. i forgot the g. i'll send the invite again! you really should start a blog lisa! at least so we can see pictures of your cute kids! i'm sure i would hardly recognize matthew!

okay, totally forgot about the burnt cookies. oh i hope my children never know about the strange details that are my life.

BTW--we are in MD for Thanksgiving. Probably going to be there the Sat. before. Reunion?

Chris said...

Im in!

Lisa said...

Let's definitely get together when Linda is here. Chris - let me know when you can come down and I'll be there! I'm so excited! I talked to Chuck tonight at the church and he said that the whole Huband clan is coming for Thanksgiving! Sounds like a PARTY!