Saturday, October 20, 2007

What do the Mitchell's do?



So...I have kids that aren't quite as helpful as they probably should be. The girls are always willing to help on "their" terms which is okay, but Stone is rarely helpful unless there is a "big" something in it for him. In the past we have tried all sorts of "fun" ideas: charts, stickers, dollar store rewards...etc. The kids would stay interested for all of about two minutes. This has always been a bit frustrating for me but since I am usually to impatient to deal with the chaos and the fact that I could have finished it by myself 20 minutes ago, I just accept the idea that I get little to no help and go about my business. A few Sunday's ago, the Relief Society lesson spoke a bit about families that are successful are those which work and play together. In a recent talk with the Bishop he also suggested in passing the fact that our kids are old enough to help and we should allow them to do so. These things considering I decided to put this goal on the front burner. I want children who are responsible, who know how to work hard. Yet I do realize that if I do not teach them to be such it will be difficult for them to acquire these traits latter on in life. So with greater resolve and the help of my Father in Heaven I began a new plan of attack. My children always fought about which job they wanted or didn't want. So this time, I gave all three the title of "Helpers". Every Saturday, I took a new sheet of paper and wrote each of their names across the paper. Then would ask them to do specific tasks, depending on what I was working on, so If I was cleaning the kitchen I would ask one to take the trash out and replace garbage bag, another to take dirty dish cloths upstairs to the dirty clothes baskets, another to but away the clean silverware from the dishwasher. I would then write whatever I ask them to do next to their name. When they returned to tell me it was done, I would put a star by their job and find another job. Each star is worth 20 cents and they do not get paid until the next Saturday. Reason 1: I may have specific jobs during the week which are star worthy. Reason 2: When you have just handed them $ they are more likely to remember what they are working for. This has worked amazingly for our children. I do not have to ask them more than once to do a task (which means no yelling) and if they "get lost" while doing a job when they return we pull out the paper and see what jobs under their names have no stars and then I point out how many stars another child might have. All of the sudden, they figure out they are getting less money than their counterparts and begin to pick up the pace. I also have started a Motto "The Mitchell's work together" and throughout the week when things need everyone to pitch in I always say "What do the Michell's do?" and they all know the answer "The Mitchell's work together". I am so excited! My kids are learning to be helpful and they can actually earn some money so when we go to the store and they ask if they can something, I can now reply: Do you have enough money to pay for it? If not, keep saving! lol.

No comments: