Monday, August 18, 2008

Same Boat?


How do you know that school is about to start in the Mitchell home?
We are 3/4 of the way through the assigned books and no book reports have been done. Phoenix has tried on many occasions to start her report without the book being completely read and Stone while he is loving to read the book is already refusing to do the required report which is due on Wednesday morning bright and early.


(BTW: Jackie & me by Dan Gutman is an amazing read and in my opinion should be required reading to any 8 or 9 year old. It brought up many interesting topics which Stone and I were able to discuss at the time because we were reading the book together...I was so excited that "I" actually was able to introduce the "N" word to him for the first time and explain that every group of people has a bad name associated with them. Be them: women "bitches", people from Poland "polacks" (in the book), people with disabilities "retards", white people "crackers", and black people "niggers" (also in the book). It got me thinking how far we have come in one generation...I will bet Mitchell's mother was not able to be the first to introduce that hateful word to her son and to have a frank discussion with him about any "group of people" feeling threatened by any other group to which they are not familiar and especially be able to wait until he was age appropriate to be able to correctly receive the message in the way it was intended)

My prized possession...the Grandfather clock from my Grandparent's home...the only thing which if my home was burning down and I my Husband and children were safe I would actually think about risking my life and returning to the fire to save...has not been wound in three days. The weights are sitting on the bottom and it is not running...which means it is not chiming :(

My pool chemicals are newly (two weeks) bought and sitting unopened inside my house. When they really should be...
Cleaning up my nasty, green pool!
My dinning room table has become a school supplies graveyard

I have spent countless hours going through, trying on, packing up, and reading the "updated" version of the dress code only to figure out I still need to go shopping. Did I mention that I hate to shop?
But there really is nothing prettier than a clean, organized, non-cluttered closet!
I have about 20 forms to fill out...Do you think they would be offended if I just wrote "Nothing has changed" at the top and sent them back? I guess I could muster up enough energy to fill out Avery's forms as she has never before attended Pre-school and they would probably need to know where to get in touch with us in case of emergency.

Oh my poor home~ My kitchen...My bathrooms...It is a sad sight to see! I just keep asking Mitchell to bring home milk for the babies...I would rather die than drag 5 children to the grocery store days before school starts. We can eat from food storage. As you can see we still have eggs. We also have food in the freezer but all of that requires work on my part to prepare so quite frankly we have been eating boxed mac and cheese, oatmeal, canned spaghetti products and anything else which takes me less than 1:30 seconds to microwave...lolSo to all those mothers who are in the same nasty backyard boat...just remember its only a few more days and then after a few short weeks of sanity we will be missing them again...well maybe :)

9 comments:

Lórien said...

OMG I love this post. What I love the most is that you went around and took pictures of it all. And let no one be mistaken, she is not lying about that grandfather clock. I have never seen Miss Chris care about any other item being touched *read banged on* by the small kids. It was very cute and we make sure to keep their messy fingers away!!! Oh wait - the cuckoo clock too. Maybe you have a clock obsession :-)

On a side note - and totally not what you posted for I know - we are not very busy today. If you need anything - help cleaning or someone to help at the grocery store, etc let me know.

Chris said...

Thanks :) I do believe that I am okay for today...everything is just "paused" except for the school things which "have" to be done. Zion is running a fever and therefore the twins have been sleeping most of the day...Mitchell is bringing home milk, butter, and oj...and I am working with the kids on projects, filing out forms, and blogging :)

But I do want you for something today!!!!

Jazz with me baby~ 6:30?

Chris said...

Oh and yes...I do have a clock thing...It is the "sound" of home...growing up...and memories of family!

Michelle said...

You crack me up! I especially love the picture of the pool.
At least your getting ready. I think there is a huge part of me that doesn't want school to start. It means an end to summer, the beach, swimming pools, lazy days and hours at your house. I'm already starting to have anxiety about sending Dallin back into the chaos...but I also don't think I can keep him home for one more day! I would go crazy(more crazy than I already am:-)
So the count down begins!
What are we going to do to celebrate??

Megan said...

I can't believe that your kids already have to do book reports! This is the part of Porter that I love...I will never have to help him with homework. I just have to try to be good at PT and OT which I guess is his homework. The thought of taking 5 kids to the grocery store sounds so painful. I love that Adam will pick up whatever I need him to on his way home from work. The best part is that he offers and I don't even have to ask!

Taste of Champaign said...

um, so why are the dishes in your sick so clean?!

Chris said...

LOL...I AM my mother's daughter! I am a pre-rinser by nurture...I looked at the picture too and wondered if I would get caught...leave it to Linda! :)

Lisa said...

It would be an interesting site when you go running back into your burning house and return lugging a grandfather clock! I would love to see it - well, not really! Can you even pick the thing up?

Amy said...

Can I give an amen to organized closets? I would bring you milk if I were there, and maybe even dinner. Can someone please send a dinner over for Chris;-) I was afraid to scroll down past the clock paragraph becuase I thought you were about to end the paragraph with a picture of it on the floor broken by some child- thank goodness it was just about the chimes. Best of luck with school this year!