Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Bugspray and Sunblock But No Air Conditioner




So during a recent conversation with a few close friends...the girl who your mother warned you about...you know the type...the one that your mother always said..."if she told you to jump off a bridge would you follow her?"...Well apparently I so would! because my dear friend Amy suggested a camp out with five women and our 14 kids (this was excluding three of the babies) and I was so on board...that is until the heat wave!


We set up camp in 100 degree heat and high humidity. Jen, Amy and I were working like a well oiled machine. I must say I was quite impressed with us. It was a really good thing that Amy was great at giving directions! Apparently Jen and I are pretty good at following them too...lol (I do believe my husband would beg to differ though)


After setting up camp, Michelle and her family showed up and Jen took all the kids to the playground while the rest of us warmed up dinner and finished setting up camp. We had a yummy dinner of spaghetti and meat sauce with butter bread.
We then made a campfire to roast marshmallows for the children and smores for the adults of course! Stone had gathered a forest full of pinecones to throw into the fire as mini fireworks. And weeks later...Avery is still talking about her favorite part of the camp-out being when Dallin B's marshmallow caught on fire.
I would have to say that my least favorite part was putting the kids to bed and having to lay down with mine as they fell asleep. I lay in the tent in the middle of the 100 degree heat with the humidity and remembered Jen's prayer for breeze as I felt sweat dripping off every part of my body. No one could sleep and each of my children were sure to let me know how hot they were. Later than sooner it seemed...Phoenix and Avery were able to fall asleep but Stone stood the test of time and was creeping around the campsite until around 1am.
All the adults met back at the picnic tables for a little bit of Mommy time and enjoyed the sound of thunder rolling in and the nice breeze that Jen so graciously prayed for :) It was a fun time surrounded by nature and I was happy to be enjoying it with my friends minus one who was apparently sick in the hospital but shame on me for thinking she was just ducking out on us and avoiding her deep distain for heat...as I so would not have blamed her because I had thought about it many, many times that day.
As I lay on the hard ground...trying to fall asleep. I was proud of my excursion to the woods and so hoped it would be cooler in the morning.
I awoke to the sound of loud, loud birds. My goodness...and I believe that I slept on a rock. We had pancake and turkey bacon breakfast and cleaned up camp. Same deal as the day before Amy as the expert and Jen and Chris and the faithful leaders. I do believe that if ever asked again I could set up and break down my own tent...I know....sad that I couldn't do it before but I am excited I can now. In my defence...we slept in cabins at Girls Camp....Can I get a witness....Linda, Lisa?
Then it was off the the waterpark which is located on the same State Park as was the camping facility. The kids were ecstatic to get swimming and quite frankly, after the heat and lack of shower from the day prior...so was I. The waterpark is a great time~ we finished up and headed out in the late afternoon.
I was so proud of myself and of all us "Mommies" in general. We packed up those dang kids, drug them to the woods, camped in a heat wave, survived, and took them to a waterpark to boot.
I am Superwoman and I so hang out with Super women...even the ones who go to the hospital to get out of having to go camping during a heat wave~! Lol.

11 comments:

erinmalia said...

oooh, chuck and i have done this before. i think it was the worst night of our married lives!

Amy said...

So where should we go next!!! I am so glad we did that for our children and for ourselves. We don't often push ourselves beyond what is our normal abilties and look what we can accomplish, we are sooooo awesome! You did mention 14 kids, it bares repeating! I think I loved putting up the tents and taking down because you two may be the first people to actually listen to me- Jerry has his own ideas of how to put up tents that doesn't coincide with mine and my kids never listen-lol. Thanks for the great memories.

Lisa said...

I am impressed! Where were all the men? Who needs them anyway, huh?!

Lisa said...

Yes, we did sleep in cabins for Girl's Camp! And we had running water and toilets! We really roughed it out there!

Michelle said...

The one sad thing about this was the 4 women camping and the 3 mentioned setting up and taking down....Where was Michelle??? Thats what I keep telling everyone when they are in awe that I went camping w/out Jon:)
As grouchy as I was, I would do it again in a heart beat! I loved spending time with you guys, and my kids thought it was the best!
I do think we could have done without the heat wave:)

Lórien said...

Brat lol :-) I would have MUCH rather been camping with you all then being sick......but only by a small percentage given the heat that day. Seeing all these pictures makes me soooo jealous and all I can say is

REDO PLEASE!!!

In fact, I have something up my sleeve close to home. It involves you or Jen B's house. Have I mentioned this to you yet? We will have to chat. It feels like forever since I've seen you all!!!!!!!!!!!

Megan said...

You guys deserve "mom of the year" awards.

Chris said...

Lisa...dont forget the mess hall with the all meals cooked for you all week long..lol (we were soooo spoiled!)

Chris said...

and the pool and the electricity in the cabins where Missy and I brought our 5 inch B&W TV to watch General Hospital everyday :) Good times, Good times

Lisa said...

I didn't know that you watched TV at camp! I do remember bringing fans because those darn cabins weren't air conditioned! See, we did rough it . . . a little.

Taste of Champaign said...

i always brought a fan too, and hid it until everyone fell asleep so i could have it for myself...good times.

i am way impressed by the way. i don't know that i would attempt this type of adventure right now with my little ones. good times for sure---and makes for bonding of good friends.