Monday, April 21, 2008

The Case of the Missing Tooth



Phoenix is such a great girl! Not much happens around here without her pleasant attitude. This is quite refreshing as she is currently and has been sitting smack dab in the middle of sibling chaos for a few years now. Mitchell and I work hard to relieve her self inflicted, perfectionist need to calm down the chaos. Coming from a family with five children under the age of eight, twins at the end, Stone's beautifully herculean personality, and Avery's at home with Mom boredom. Phoenix has taken the only spot which seemed to be left unfilled in our family which was that of the responsible, type A personality. As her mother, I am so grateful for her! She helps me immensely! For the most part she does cheerfully that which is asked of her. She has no problem taking care of her self (getting dressed, showers, teeth brushed...etc) The only problem is that as a parent of such an independent little person surrounded by four others who demand so much it is hard to remember that Phoenix cannot nor should not be expected to do everything for herself even if she thinks she should.
This is why last month when she lost her tooth and the Tooth Fairy "couldn't find" (aka. forgot) it...I am left feeling like such a horrible person. Phoenix is so on top of everything and so kind and giving the favor SHOULD be returned...especially when it is expected! I was lucky that morning that the tooth had fallen behind the bed during the night and I was able to explain to Phoenix that if the Tooth Fairy comes and cannot find the tooth when she returns the next night you will get an extra special surprise. This stopped her tears of disappointment and made her excited again for the next nights visit. She was glad to see $1 as normal and an extra $1 in coin form.
This experience came to be but a distant memory until this morning when in came Phoenix carrying a baggy with her tooth in tote...DAMN! I must admit she was much less traumatized this time than she was last time as she is now aware of the Tooth Fairy routine. I asked calmly..."Did the tooth fall behind your bed again?" She said "no...but it did fall on the floor next to my bed". "Oh...That must have been it then. Looks like you get the surprise again...you are one lucky girl!"
Can you even believe it? Not even a second thought until the girl walked in my room this morning...quite frankly I am a bit afraid I might forget again tonight.
She deserves so much more! I know I am trying my best and therefore that is good enough but my goodness....she deserves so much more!

5 comments:

Taste of Champaign said...

I'll give you a call tonight if it will help :) You are a great mommy--don't let this tooth fairy make you feel otherwise!

Chris said...

LOL...Thanks for the call this afternoon Linda! It must be a MOT (Mother of Twins) thing...The tooth fairy found the tooth and all was made right in the world at least for today!

Lisa said...

I feel your pain! I have gotten up in the middle of the night to "remind" the tooth fairy! You are so good at playing it off!

Amy said...

I hope no one comes up with any more "things" we are suppose to pretend to be for our children. (Santa,Easter bunny, toothfairy...)I can't keep track and the guilt I feel when I forget is too much to bear especially when our sweet child has tears in their eyes trying to understand why they were missed. I feel your pain sister!

Q'ner said...

Pheeny is a good sport... she takes a licking and keeps on ticking... I don't know how you remember to get up in the morning... let alone play tooth fairy.... you have WAY too much going on...