Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Can't get her off of my mind!

Stone has a friend in school who had a house fire earlier in the school year and has been out of their home since. Immediately after the fire Stone came home very determined to serve in any way possible this friend. He obviously could feel the inner struggle and need within this child as he begged with me to do whatever we could to ease to burdened mind of his friend. We did serve in our own families way and went about our business.

Stone's class had a Christmas party the other day and I was able to meet up with the mother of Stone's friend again who I had never met prior to our brief meeting after the fire nor had I seen her since. We had a brief yet intense conversation. The Spirit which accompanied was so strong. Even though they are in a rental townhouse and have been for months. She had mentioned that the builders had not even begun to start construction on her home and once they begin it will take anywhere from 5-7 months to get back into their home from that time. I asked her if they gave her any idea when they would start and she said "no". She has some things that they were able to "save" from the fire in storage, but she is not sure what is there and how damaged things are and whatnot. I asked her if she has been able to feel at home yet in the townhome. She said that she is having a hard time because of her kitchen things. She said that she always did all the big holidays and she has been able to replace the necessities in the kitchen and things are in storage, but it just doesn't feel like home.

As I have done the Christmas thing with my family the past 5 days since speaking with her I cannot get her off of my mind! I am a mother...I take the greatest pride and comfort in feeding and loving my family from one place...my kitchen. It is my belief that the woman before me was telling me the same thing. I must do something! But I need some help...Everyone has different things which makes their kitchen special and run more efficiently for them.

I cannot even begin to help her replace these special things until I know what they are. I mean, I know what mine would be...Please tell me the three to five things which you cannot live without in your kitchen.

Not only on an eveyday basis, but during the holidays as well.

Thanks!

8 comments:

Chris said...

Medium Scoop: Pampered Chef, Rubber Scrapers: Pampered Chef, Pyrex 9x13 Baking Dishes, Pyrex Deep Pie Plates, Three nice Mixing Bowls.

Lisa said...

1 - A good cutting board (Pampered Chef is good)
2 - A good knife (Cutco is the only way to go)
3 - A good mixing bowl (my favorite is Thatsa Bowl from Tupperware! It's huge though.)
4 - Some disposable containers (Ziploc or Glad)
5 - A nice looking male chef who also does dishes (I don't have one of these yet - only in my dreams!)

Taste of Champaign said...

I will try and say some that haven't been said...
A good electric mixer
Large pot
12 inch deep skillet
wire whisk
can opener

Chris said...

:) Male Chef...Love it :)

Lisa wanna do the temple and the Cheesecake Factory one day in late Jan early Feb?

Chris said...

Ps. All I want for Christmas is for Lisa to start a non "Gardner" family Blog. What does all the Rockville crowd say about that...All in favor say "I"!!!!

Lisa said...

you are too funny! ok, ok, one of my new year's resolutions is to start my own blog!

and yes, i would love to go to the temple and to the cheesecake factory! what a lovely combination!

Megan said...

It might be too late for me to give you my favorite kitchen items...but here they are anyway!
Large Pot
Wooden Spoon
9x13 baking dish
sharp knife
cutting board
can opener
Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Taste of Champaign said...

"I!"